Holly Golightly

Project page covering works to this Moody 35.

Work started on inspection of the bilge keel bolts.
The first task was to get access which required removal of the water tanks and associated plumbing.
hg_001 hg_002 hg_003 hg_004 hg_005 hg_006
Next the keel bolts were withdrawn one at a time and in this case, replaced with new ones and coated.

hg_008

 

After the boat was moved into our shed N02 we set about investigating the chain plates and supporting Knees.

hg_009 hg_010 hg_011 hg_012

hg_013

 

All the knees showed evidence of moisture and on further investigation it became clear that they all needed to be removed and replaced.
The original chain plate design  was also considered to be inadequate and so the replacement of the Knees and subsequent repairs to the deck would also incorporate a new main chain plate design which would also remove the risk of further leakage through the deck.

hg_014 hg_015

On removal of the old knees we saw at least a mug full of water behind the laminate on each knee.

New knees have been cut and epoxied into place.

hg_016 hg_017 hg_018 hg_019 hg_020
The plywood core in the deck was wet in a small area, outboard and aft, the wood was very soft.
This needed to be removed and resealed and then laminated back to full thickness.

hg_023 hg_024

The Genoa  track was removed during this time so we could inspect the moisture in the fixing holes.
The fixing holes have all been opened from 6mm to 20mm.
The holes will all be filled using West Epoxy thickened with micro Balloons.
Once the Epoxy has set we will drill new 6mm holes for the track fasteners.
The tape on the deck is so that we can mark the precise location for each fastener.

Further down you can see 100mm x 100mm section of upper deck and core has been removed.
This area has now been thoroughly dried out and the edges will be filled using thickened West Epoxy.
The square area will be rebuilt with Epoxy / glass cloth to the original level.
holly_001 holly_002 holly_003 holly_004 holly_005 holly_006

 

The deck voids have been sealed with epoxy and epoxy laminate added and built up to deck level.

holly_005

holly_006

holly_007

 

We started to laminate the knees today.
The spec calls for Epoxy and Biaxial cloth so the initial laminate will be using 350g and for the tabling we will be using 450g 150mm tape.
hg_027

hg_025 hg_026

Dimensional drawing of proposed chain plate.
chainplate_003

Laminating the Starboard knee continued today.
The first job was to vigorously scrub the cured epoxy from the day before with warm water, soap and a scotchbrite pad.
This is remove the wax deposit that the epoxy leaves during the curing process.
This technique is preferable over abrading as the wax tends to clog up the paper requiring frequent replacements and sanding obviously starts to cut into the laminate.

The sealing laminate had been completed yesterday so today was focused on the build up of subsequent layers to add specific strength to the high load areas.
The tabling is overlapped progressively from around 130mm from the knee to around 25mm requiring 6 layers of 450 bi-axial x 150mm tape.
In the photos below you can see the tab layers and also the extra layers in the high stress areas.
hg_028 hg_029 hg_030

We’ve started to look at future access to the chain plates without having to disassemble the interior.
The easiest option is to cut out access holes and then fit teak veneered ply panels held with four screws

hg_031 hg_032

The genoa tracks have been re-fitted.
Due to the hollow section track we used small washers that fit inside a recess in the extruded track, so that there is something solid to compress the sealant between track and deck.

HG_033 HG_034 HG_035

The port side main knee has now been laminated and stress areas strengthened.
HG_037HG_038

The forward lower’s chain plate areas have been cut out and the wood removed down to the inner deck laminate and then rebuilt using a mix of biaxial, coremat, powder-bound csm and epoxy.

HG_040
HG_039

The new chain plate assemblies have arrived and compared to the originals are significantly more robust.

The plates were clamped into position before being lightly tacked.

Having been tacked and the angles set the chain plates are now out and off to be welded.

Down below the bolt centers were marked and the area of each core drilled out.

The cores have been inspected for bonding and thickness and all seem in good condition.
The slightly thicker side of laminate being the chain plate side.

The holes were then sealed with neat epoxy before filling with silica colloidal.


Wood cabinets go back with holes cut for access to chain plates.
Blanking pieces will be screwed in shortly.

2017-02-21T18:39:29+00:00