Was originally built in Castleford in 1930 by Cliff and Jones. She was later used as a Dunkirk little ship and took part in Operation Dynamo evacuating troops from East Beach. Her current owners are heavily involved in the Association of Dunkirk Little Ships (ADLS) and brought her to HMS for a mini refit over the winter of 2018/19 prior to an association celebration in London’s St Katharine’s Dock in May 2019. When she arrived to HMS Southwold on closer inspection we discovered a more extensive restoration was required, there were large areas of the hull which had serious rot and John managed put his car key through the side of the hull!
This needed to be repaired and re-planked using larch and traditional boatbuilding methods to make her seaworthy again.
As the job progressed more work was uncovered and added to the ‘to-do list’ which included all the fittings being removed and re-chromed extensive interior and exterior rebuilding and new teak deck boxes and a seating area, yet as is always the way the deadline didn’t and couldn’t move!
The staff at HMS pulled out all the stops to get her finished on time and with hours to spare before Prince Michael of Kent was due on board for a drinks reception she was delivered by HMS to London St Katharine’s Dock.